Stamp mills?

The CopperRange.org Discussion Board: Modeling Michigan Railroads: Stamp mills?
By Josh Baakko (Jbaakko) on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 2:22 am:

I'm trying to get a little info on the Stamp mills, and the "setup" Any one will be fine, as I'm just trying to get a general idea, for a freelanced version on my dad's model railroad. I have some nice parts picked out, but would like to see how it all works.

By Paul Meier (Pmeier) on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 7:43 pm:

Josh, The stamp mills in the Keweenaw were all very similar with some subtle differences depending on the rock that was milled in them. They ranged in size from the one stamp mill at Phoenix to the 17 stamp Hecla mill. 6 - 8 units were the most common. A unit was one steam stamp and all the supporting equipment. I would suggest reading the CALUMET & HECLA CONSOLIDATED COPPER CO. book just out from Robert L. Fox. This is a reprint from the Mining Congress Journal and is available from Copper World in Calumet and gives a real good overview of mining, milling, and smelting in the 1920's. While it is specific to C&H, Copper Range, and Quincy followed the same practices.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.