Seeberville Memories

The CopperRange.org Discussion Board: Upper Peninsula History: Seeberville Memories
By dmtaylor@houghton history.org (64.136.164.30) on Saturday, January 31, 2004 - 3:24 pm:

This letter from Ms. Olga Pisani to the Houghton County Historical Society: "I would like to share a few fond memories with you. I was born Olga Ricci on March 6, 1910 in Seeberville, Michigan. My parents were Vincenzo & Rosa Ricci, they came from Tuscany, Italy and settled in Seeberville in 1906. I also had a sister Matilda born in 1907 and a brother Attilio born 1908. My father worked in the Champion Mine in Painesdale, he also worked at the F Compressor for a time. He was a member of the Italian Society "Figli D' Italia" which still exists as "Son's of Italy" all over the United States. I remember my father telling us about the fire that happened in the Italian Hall & many other things that happened. We, my sister, brother & myself attended the Painesdale Grade school, & Mr. & Mrs. Jeffers house near the school & the library where we got our books. I remember the movie house near the school & we paid a nickel to get in. I also remember every morning the train would arrive at Painesdale Depot with many young people going to our beautiful High School. I was too young to remember the miner's strike but my sister remembered the actual shooting which took place in Seeberville. We lived 2 houses from where it took place. I could go on & on but this is it for now. We left Seeberville on July 4, 1922 & went to Italy. We returned to the United States in June, 1923 & settled in N.Y.C. Thank you for listening. Olga P.S. I still have a picture of our house in Seeberville.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.