Location of Albion Rock?

The CopperRange.org Discussion Board: Upper Peninsula History: Location of Albion Rock?
By Herb_NW_Wis (206.191.197.182) on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 10:26 am:

I note on this website there is a quote from John St. John's 1846 book: "A True Description of the Lake Superior Country" in which he describes a high point of land west of Eagle River along the Greenstone Ridge: "The spot where I stood was a bare flat rock, the highest peak of the Keweenaw Point, upon Lease, No. 10, belonging to the Albion Mining Company. I had heard this view glowingly described, but my imagination had formed no conception of its grandeur. I have stood upon the hills of Vermont and New Hampshire, and upon the peak of Laurel Mountain, the highest of the Alleganies - I have stood by Niagara in youthful wonder, and in manhood's realization: but the water, over whose expanse the eye flits like the lost bird, finding nought to rest on, was wanting there to add immensity of space to the scene, as at the Albion Rock; nor was there, as here, the awful precipice, with its tempting depth, that Nature's instincts teach her creatures they must shun. I have seen sights, but never one before so unconfined by hill or plane, or close horizon, where the spirit seemed set free to range at will. A scene only to be felt."John St. John 1846 Does anyone know the exact location St. John was referring to? It is roughly shown on his accompanying map, but does not appear on any modern maps that I have seen. My best guess is the 1450 foot high "peak" above the North American location west of the Cliff Mine. That appears to the highest point along the Greenstone Ridge and fairly close to the Albion Rock marked on St. John's map. But does anyone know for sure? \topurl{http://www.atthecreation.com/,http://www.atthecreation.com/}

By Herb_NW_Wis (206.191.197.182) on Wednesday, December 03, 2003 - 10:28 am:

I see that the paragraphing on this forum doesn't work for me. Hope you can understand my previous message. I'd sure like to visit that Albion Rock this coming summer....