Recently-published book about Calumet, Michigan

The CopperRange.org Discussion Board: Upper Peninsula History: Recently-published book about Calumet, Michigan
By Gerry Mantel (216.56.6.238) on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 10:58 am:

Hey! I'm Gerry Mantel, one of the co-authors of the new book on Calumet, titled "Calumet: Copper Country Metropolis." And I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all of the WONDERFUL folks in the Upper Peninsula who helped "make it happen," i.e., those who contributed directly (materials & ideas, etc.) as well as those who bought the book, helped to market it or otherwise expressed interest in it. And there are MANY of them, believe me! As I recently stated (rather bluntly) in sort-of a "mass mailing" to many of these people, without their help we (the authors, a couple of yahoos residing in Wisconsin) "would have been laughed --let alone run-- right out of Calumet." And although I am indeed proud of our accomplishments, it is also my desire to see that some 'mothballed' U.P. literature, the REAL classic stuff, be made available again... one author who comes immediately to mind is Pete Oikarinen, who has published much excellent work, particularly that pertaining to Copper Country "folkways" .... written by a native of the area who not only has a great sense of history & but a bonafide "feel" for the local scene to boot. But for the moment I want merely to reiterate my appreciation for all the help we have gotten with our own project..... the biggest "lesson" of this book is its depiction of outsiders coming into the region, "raping it" (so to speak), and then leaving with noses thrust upwards towards the sky; I wouldn't want to be accused of following suit and I'm sure my partner wouldn't, either!!!! (p.s. -- Brian Juntikka, you still out there?)

By Fritz Brohn (68.40.9.120) on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 9:27 pm:

I would love to get a copy of this as my dad was born in Calumet in 1898. I'm still tracking down some of his tales about growing up in the "Copper Country"

By Marlene Lammi (68.249.4.4) on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 8:55 pm:

I am looking for information or photos of the interior of the Calumet Theater before a fire destroyed the huge copper chandelier and also some of the interior redecorating of 1934 during the WPA restoration with Alfred Messner designing the art deco murals. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.