Parts of an old C&H rock car found in Calumet

The CopperRange.org Discussion Board: Upper Peninsula Railroads: Parts of an old C&H rock car found in Calumet
By Dennis H. Leopold (24.213.12.14) on Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 12:52 pm:

It was used in the construction of a garage in Calumet. I'm going to take some pictures later this evening, if they turn out I'll post them. I wounder how often this happened. I was told years ago that Ishpeming Steel in Marquette Co. used a bunch of the wood from old C&H cars that they scrapped to build one of their buildings at the scrap yard. But, I have not been able to verify this claim. Can anyone else on the list?

By terry witkowski (69.28.4.240) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 5:09 am:

does anyone have pics of ex-GBW # 605 caboose on COPR, besides whats on this site? i saw more somewhere, but can't remember. also, i was in the lake linden area a couple times and am confused about a gorge no. and we. of lake linden. the viaduct crosses m-26 and r-o-w stops at this enormous gorge. is it hungarian falls or douglas creek? i don't 'member. HCHS has a photo of #29 crossing this river in it's photo displays. the photo showed a wooden trestle, but i saw concrete pilings. my friend and i slept on the r-o-w and walked to the gorge, in the a.m. viaduct over m-26 had a date of 1968. i was up there again in '98 and you can no longer drive up to the r-o-w because of guard-rails. a bicycle trip is in the works for aug '04. boy, did things change between '79 and '98. thanks to all. terry witkowski. waupaca, wi

By Tim Lab (24.236.131.42) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 9:45 pm:

Hello Terry, North from Lake Linden, there were two rail lines, circa 1960 to 1970. They paralled each other for about 4 miles, along the side of St. Louis Hill and overlooking the Trap Rock Valley. The Eastern or lower line was the Calumet and Hecla line to Copper City. The Western or higher line was the Copper Range RR. The steel viaduct over M-26 was part of a highway modernization effort at that time. Moving north from there, along the Copper Range, on the west side of the tracks, was a sawmill for cutting railroad ties. It was there until the end of the Copper Range and was called Silver Spur. Continuing on you come to a gorge. This was the location of Bridge #30. To the West of here, at the start of the gorge, Hemmill Creek drops over the precipice and is known as Houghton Falls. This bridge was originally a wooden bridge. An nice photograph exists showing it in transition from wood to steel. Of course it had concrete pilings. Further up St. Louis Hill, about 1&1/2 miles is a large fill, called fill #31, if I remember correctly. This was bridge #31 at one time and rather than convert it to steel, the wooden structure was simply filled in; a common practice. Not far from here a county road crossed and on the East side of the tracks someone had placed an interurban car from the Houghton County Electric. Continuing on you pass Gas Plant Rd. Up the road from the tracks and south of the road, on private property, is the Natural Wall. It's a nifty little piece of Nature's Work. As you head for Calumet, you will pass Calumet Junction, Centenial Mine, M-41, the C&H crossing then the old station area at 6th and Spruce (area north of 203). The main train station was on 9th Street and was served by the Millwaukee Rd's Copper Country Limited until 1968. Back at Lake Linden and M-26. Going South on the Calumet and Hecla brings you to the site of the Junction of the C&H lines to Copper City and Calumet. The C&H and the Copper Range also crossed here and there was an interlocking tower. In the 1960's it was pushed over, but still there. Further South, about two miles on the Copper Range you would come to another steel trestle from which you could see Hungarian Falls. This was behind Hubbell. While you travel up St. Louis Hill, on the old Copper Range, remember it is a 3% grade, and I can tell you that's a lot of coal to shovel. Good Luck. Labby

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.