Copper Range #29

The CopperRange.org Discussion Board: Upper Peninsula Railroads: Copper Range #29
By Win Tucker on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 6:33 pm:

Does anybody know who now owns the old steam
locomotive {#29} that is rusting away in Lake
Linden. I would think it could be used as a static
display piece at Copper World. I rode behind the
old girl in 1971 when she pulled the KC tourist
excursions. Hate to see her just rust away!

By Paul Meier on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 11:49 pm:

I believe Clint Jones may still own COPR 29 and C&NW 175 - often mistaken for an NP engine due to the tender.

By Kevin E. Musser (Admin) on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 7:16 am:

Thanks Paul for the information on C&NW 175 as I am sure many are confused about this engine. I know I was. Good information!

By David Beckstein on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 7:26 pm:

Last I heard, Clint Jones was working for the Wisconsin Central. You might check with them to contact Clint.

By Don Paquette on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 5:51 pm:

You can add me as being confused about the C&NW
175. I took some pic's a few years back and with
the tender indicating it was a NP, it's understanding. Originally from Hubbell.

By Bruce Feld (65.184.119.13) on Thursday, July 18, 2002 - 12:28 am:

175 was indeed a former CNW 10-Wheeler, class R-1 and as I recall, had a superheater. Clint still resides up in the Houghton area, I believe. I fired the 29 for 2 years, shoveling a ton and a half of coal per trip, up St. Louis hill along the spectacular Trap Rock valley, between Calumet and Lake Linden. Leaaving Calument yard, we passed a house on the fireman's side of the cab where invariably old grandma type sat in her rocker and waved to us as we passed. From there, a mile or so after crossing Hwy 41, by Mill Pond, we went through Junction where the Copper City branch of the old Keweenau Central took off to our left through the brush. We rounded a curve to begin our long descent along the Trap Rock, it's endless vista being no less open than one's boundless imagination. We'd keep our eyes on the water guages, knowing full well we were at an angle descending the grade. If I recall, 29 poped off at 163 and 165 pounds, but understand it's been 35 years. 29, a Consolidation 2-8-0, was an old soak - no superheater, just injectors. Her boiler was pretty sound. I have many fond memories of her -Jones setting up her driving wheel shoes and wedges, rerailing her after a Lake Superior rain soften the old CR cedar ties and rails canted right out from under us, and more. It's nice to see people that still have interest in these past treasures, these old steamers...

By Tim Lab g97e6r (Tlab) (24.247.85.232) on Sunday, November 02, 2003 - 4:37 pm:

Just seen this board and feel compelled to respnond to everyone. The history of the engine 29 is well documented, but the engine 175 has not been mentioned, to any great degree. The C&NW, class R1, 4-6-0, #175 was, I believe, used in iron ore service in the Iron River/Stambaugh area. The original tender was a lost cause and Clint acquired the hew tender from a Duluth scrap dealer (Hyman-Michaels?). At the time of acquisition it was attached to a Northern Pacific rotary snowplow. Equipment acquired by the Keweenaw Central is presently being disposed of. The engine 29 should remain in the Copper Country. Clint, who appreciates his anonymity, is presently operating the Mineral Range RR over the old Iron Cliffs Railway.

By Mark Keaton (216.86.84.222) on Friday, November 28, 2003 - 9:59 pm:

Tim, what/where is the Iron Cliffs Railway?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.