Looking for info on marquette & huron mtn rr

The CopperRange.org Discussion Board: Upper Peninsula Railroads: Looking for info on marquette & huron mtn rr
By Larry Lewis on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 4:35 pm:

i am looking for information on the marquette & huron mountain railroad, including businesses it served and locomotives it owned. i know most if not all traffic was wood products, i am just curiosu as to names of businesses on the line

By Mick Enright (216.138.152.162) on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 3:05 pm:

Mr. Lewis:
I worked as a locomotive fireman and mechanic on the M.& H. M. from 1980 through 1983. It was a fantastic experience, not only working on a steam railroad under authentic conditions, but all other train crew mwmbers were retired from other railroads (DSS&A, SOO, LS&I & CNW). Hearing the stories of these guys was priceless.
At that time, we only ran as far as a place called Eagle's Nest. At one time , I believe the line served log loading areas at Birch and Antlers. When the line was an L.S.&I branch, (Up until the late 1950's?) its primary purpose was to serve the Ford Sawmill in Big Bay. Legend has it that all the wood for Ford car interiors and panels for the "Woody" station wagons were hauled from the mill. Please feel free to email me if I can be of any more help.
Mick Enright menright@chs-mi.com

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.