Late summer/fall 2004 update

The CopperRange.org Discussion Board: Save the Redridge Dam: Late summer/fall 2004 update
By CindyM (63.84.92.15) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 8:04 am:

Hello, I have recently had a resurgance of interest in this project with many asking what is going on at the dams. The wooden dam is being breached now and the pond has dropped significantly. There are no plans to replace/rebuild it anymore, that option has been taken off the table by the current Township Board. CindyM

By David G Freeze (172.167.11.52) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 1:21 am:

It looks like now would be a good time to think about preserving the steel dam. With the log dam being removed and more holes being cut into the steel dams face, I would imagine that there is a possibility that damage to the base of the dam may be accelerated. We can only hope that this dam can be saved. Maybe the rarity of this dam would help motivate people and various organizations to do something. So many times after something like what has happened to the log dam the reaction is "Gee I wish that had not happened."

By Jim Hanna (65.172.190.239) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 5:19 pm:

Was at the dam site today, I never got to see the wood dam in person, the area is sure cut up, I hope time heals all wounds. What a great site the steel dam was in person. I would have liked to walk along the beach by that smoke stack, but I had no idea on how to get there. Keep up the good work all Jim

By Bob G. (66.255.212.5) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 9:12 pm:

damn damn damn damn DAMN! I could kick myself for not getting over there last month when we were on vacation, just didnt have time with all our other stops. *sigh* I guess I'm gonna have to wait a while to see the 'damage' unless someone can post some good pics somewhere. Better luck with the steel dam preservation I hope. Bob G. www.i2k.com/~rjgoniea/

By Kevin Musser (24.247.160.117) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 9:32 pm:

I will have some photos in a few weeks.

By Bob G. (66.255.212.17) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 11:49 am:

Kevin, I hope you're not making a special trip just to get photos for me, you're farther south in MI than I am.:)(at least you are if your author info is current) \ch{line} \ch{br} I am going to have to make a trip up there myself before the snow starts flying in earnest. That site has meant so much to me for a long time that I've just got to see the damage in person. I don't know why, but it's almost feeling to me like a friend has died and I need to pay respects.\ch{br}sorry if the formatting doesnt turn out, dont know why the tags dont seem to preview properly.

By Kevin Musser (12.159.43.115) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 12:31 pm:

It is always a "special trip" when I go to the Keweenaw. Just have some time finally to go up for a week. Will be posting when I return.

By Doug (198.208.160.27) on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 12:24 pm:

I just got back from a trip to da U.P. and visited the dam site. What a pitiful sight it was! I totally don't understand how this made the river any better in the eyes of the DEQ. Let's just hope they are happy now and will go away for another 100 years!

By Kris Pulka (205.213.111.51) on Wednesday, September 29, 2004 - 3:37 pm:

WOW, I haven't been up to Houghton in quite a few years and am planning a trip back up in a few weeks (for my birthday and Tech homecoming) and would like to head out to the dam...it was always an end of the track season tradition that we would "close out" our season there... The only problem is I don't remember exactly how to get there - can directions be posted? Kris (in Green Bay)

By Kevin Musser (24.247.160.117) on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 10:40 pm:

Kris, The finest route to the dam is taking Canal Road west from Houghton to Coles Creek Rd (at the smelts), Coles Creek turns into the Covered Road and will take you almost to Redridge. When the road ends make a left and head into Redridge. The dam is to your left as you drive out of Redridge towards Freda.

By Dave Freeze (24.7.228.170) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 10:01 am:

I have a question about the picture of the fisherman in the pictures Kevin took. Am I safe in assuming that the river bed he is standing on is silt that has accumulated since the dam was originally built?

By Kevin Musser (24.247.160.117) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 7:21 pm:

That is what it looked like to me Dave. As you can see only half of the dam has been removed, so everything from where he is standing down another 12-16ft is silt, most likely even further down as the steel dam still yields water and I really don't know the elevation difference between the river bed below the steel dam and where the fisherman is standing, that would be the real depth of silt.

By Bob G. (66.255.212.34) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 8:20 pm:

Thanks for the photos Kevin. I'm kinda shocked. I expected them to remove the collapsing west end of the dam...not take the whole darn top off! Certainly makes any possibilty of rebuilding just this side of impossible.:(

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.