July 2002 Photo (The Birth of Painesdale)

The CopperRange.org Discussion Board: Featured Photo of the Month: July 2002 Photo (The Birth of Painesdale)
By Kevin E. Musser (Admin) (24.247.91.64) on Sunday, June 30, 2002 - 8:03 am:

During the years 1899 and 1900 the Copper Range Company began to develop the Champion mine. The humble beginnings of Painesdale began as a tent town, not unlike many other mining communities in the Keweenaw. The only permanent structure in the photo was most likely a boarding house. The area in the center appears to be the beginning of one of the four shafts to plunge into the Baltic lode below Painesdale. Most likely at what would become Champion #3. It must have been something to see small children running around the camp and woman (large group to the right) discussing the days events amist the construction of the mine. The photo was probably taken during the summer of 1900, It is interesting to realize that someone was out making postcards of things like this and most likely selling them in Painesdale and surrounding communities. This postcard was postmarked August 2 in Painesdale, but the year is not visible. As the Painesdale Post Office opened in March of 1901, I would assume that this one was sent in August of 1901 as the letter states "A view of our camp. This was taken when our small tents were up. We now have large tents, only a couple show". From a gentlemen named Neil, probably sent home to either his mother or his wife in Grand Rapids. (Photo from the Kevin Musser Collection)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.