October 2006 Photo (C&H Bridge above Lake Linden, summer 1968)

The CopperRange.org Discussion Board: Featured Photo of the Month: October 2006 Photo (C&H Bridge above Lake Linden, summer 1968)
By Kevin E. Musser (Admin) (66.227.205.157) on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 9:17 am:

This interesting photo was taken Perry Brumm's grandfather who helped to build this bridge, a long time fixture on the way from Lake Linden up the hill to Calumet. Perry relates: It was taken in August of 1968 and shows the C&H crane after lifting the first main beam in place. The beams were brought in to a rail siding up the hill from the bridge and hauled down the hill to be put in place. A few of the people that are seen in the picture are C&H employees that we hired shortly after the start of the strike. For many years we thought the only train that crossed the bridge was one that my grandfather paid C&H to run across to check the gauge of the rails, it wasn't until I saw the photo of the C&H locomotive crossing in 1972, that I realized that the bridge had been used twice. (Perry Brumm Collection).

By Mark Baldwin (Cr67) on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 2:40 pm:

Is this the bridge that still stands today?

By Kevin E. Musser (Admin) on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 8:36 pm:

The photo is slightly deceiving as you are actually looking at two bridges. The old bridge in the background where you can only really see the wooden pier and one side of the new bridge in the foreground, and yes, that is the one that you see on your way up to Calumet from Lake Linden today. I have some new photos from Perry that I just received today that make what I am saying clearer. Stay tuned for them.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.