February 2006 Photo (C&H rock train passing the Allouez yard)

The CopperRange.org Discussion Board: Featured Photo of the Month: February 2006 Photo (C&H rock train passing the Allouez yard)
By Kevin E. Musser (Admin) (66.227.205.157) on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 8:41 am:

A rare view of a C&H rock train lead by C&H #1, sent in by Mike Raudio who's grandfather worked as a section hand on the C&H. Paul Meier relates that the photo is most likely at the Allouez yards between Ahmeek and Ahmeek Location. That was the gathering place for all the rock coming from the mines on the northern end of the Kearsarge Lode. The big engines would take the rock down to the mills via the Trap Rock Valley line, The clues to the location are what appears to be the board and batton enginehouse that was located there and the villiage in the right background. Thanks Mike for sharing this fine photo and to Paul for help on the location.

By Paul H. Meier (12.158.3.254) on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 2:21 pm:

As Kevin says, the location is a guess. I wasn't around in the "20's,'30's, & '40's to have seen all the sites. C&H took over alot of property with the 1923 consolidation. This included the purchase of the Mineral Range 2-8-0's and a number of steel rockcars. The steel cars wouldn't fit under the Redjacket shafthouse chutes so the cars were operated in what was Mineral Range territory. The appearance of the steel cars in the train and lack of large buildings in the background eliminates most locations in Calumet. But there isn't any conclusive landmarks appearing in the photo, so I made the guess that it had to be up on the North end with the Alloues yards being the place where tracks converged from several directions. If there is someone out there with more accurate information, please write in - we would all like to know.

By Gordon S (70.131.32.31) on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 3:38 pm:

I would tend to agree from just the track direction. I think this track went over to where the Kingston Mine was located, then turned south on the Traprock Valley line, I rode it with an ATV last year, I notice what looks like a water tower on the very right side of the photo. I know there is some kind of cement foundation around that area, its elevated above the track structure. Hoping to get up in May this year before things turn green, so I'll have to go back over here

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.