September 2005 (Isle Royle Mine Railroad)

The CopperRange.org Discussion Board: Featured Photo of the Month: September 2005 (Isle Royle Mine Railroad)
By Kevin E. Musser (Admin) (24.180.84.38) on Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 8:58 am:

Mark Worrell passed along this nice image of the Isle Royale taken in 1909 showing their saddle tanker. Looks like a special excursion on this Copper Country shortline which served the Isle Royale mine which was located just south of Houghton.

By Ron Sibilsky (63.173.85.96) on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 8:56 am:

I grew up in Hurontown during the 1940's and 1950's. I remember the Isle Royale during the last years of operation. As a child my grandfather would take us up to the roundhouse to watch the ore trains on the way to the mill. I remember the final days of operation and the dismantaling of the physical property. My uncle ran the train during the dismantaling of the railroad and the mines and the mill. I would like to know if there are any books or pamphlets or material available pertaining to the history of the Isle Royale and the Huron mines.

By Jeremy Mock (24.179.141.138) on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 4:18 am:

"Copper Mines of Keweenaw No.18 ISLE ROYALE MINE" by Don H. Clarke published in 1990 may be of some use.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.