May 2005 Photo (A&LS Coach "Pioneer")

The CopperRange.org Discussion Board: Featured Photo of the Month: May 2005 Photo (A&LS Coach "Pioneer")
By Kevin E. Musser (Admin) (24.247.160.117) on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 4:21 pm:

The Atlantic & Lake Superior Railroad was not known for it's passenger service but they did maintain two coaches, mainly for use by Atlantic Mine employee's. This one called the Pioneer, a 4 wheeled extended bobber caboose (must have been a rough ride), shown here on display in Altantic Mine in the 1920's and a second coach numbered 419. I have yet to come across a photo or the maker of 419, maybe one day. I can just picture John Stanton riding this coach surveying the Atlantic property with William Paine and William saying "we should have taken the Ranger". This image was provided by Tom Burg, thanks Tom. (Roy Campbell collection)

By hherbert (24.119.102.176) on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 11:02 am:

I am seeking information about the Stevens Copper Company (probably incorporated in Delaware) which existed between 1903 and 1919. It sold stock for a copper mine in Graham County Arizona. Please forward this request to anyone who might have information about the company. Thanks

By Jim Fisher (68.83.30.131) on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 3:33 pm:

Harry Reeder once showed me one of his father's experimental color photos of this car, from the teens or twenties. As I remember, it was caboose red. I wonder if that image is among the glass lantern slides in the Mich. Tech archives.

By Paul Meier (12.158.3.254) on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 12:10 am:

There are some great lantern slides by Harry Reeder in the Tech archives. Several are railroad subjects, but I don't recall that one. I saw them about 5 years ago. At that time they had no safe way to make prints from them, Perhaps prints can be made with a digital scanner with its lower intensity light. There were some good views of the Copper Range yards and docks at Houghton.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.